A Business Improvement Area (BIA) is an association of business owners within a specified geographical district who, with official approval of the City, unite for the purpose of promoting and beautifying the area.
- Advertise and promote the area
- Organize festivals and special events
- Beautify and revitalize the community with flower baskets, benches, banners, holiday decorations, etc.,
- Host seminars for local business owners
- Work with local community groups
Once a BIA is approved by City Council, every business within its boundaries automatically becomes a member. There are no exceptions, under the principle that all who benefit should be required to bear their fair share of the cost of the program.
While a BIA’s primary focus is based on the needs of it’s own region, it has a profound effect on the surrounding area as well. It serves as an economic and social anchor, helping to stabilize and revitalize the local community. Streetsville, Port Credit and Clarkson all have successful BIAs and are great examples of how they positively impact their community.
Background on the Malton BIA MORE